Bangladesh factory fire: 15 killed, 70 injured
Bangladesh factory fire :
- The fire broke out due to boiler explosion at Tempako Packaging Factor
- Around 6:15 AM in Bisic industrial area of Tongi.
- At least 15 people were killed and 70 others sustained burn injuries today in a massive fire.
- The boiler explosion at a packaging factory in Bangladesh’s industrial area, just north of the capital Dhaka.
- Fifteen people have been killed and 70 others injured, many of them critically, said doctors at the state-run Dhaka Medical College Hospital
- Ten of the injured are struggling for life with critical burn wounds, they said.
- “The bodies of 10 people were kept in the hospital,” Md Parvez Mia, a residential doctor of 50-bed Tongi Government Hospital
- A part of the building collapsed as the rage of the blaze spread despite frantic efforts of the fire fighters.
- Twenty units of firefighters were trying to douse the fire.
- The factory produced and printed the plastic packaging for food items like potato chips and small household goods including mosquito coils.
Bangladesh factories: ‘About 40% have major safety issues’ :
- Safety checks have suggested that about 40% of factories in Bangladesh have major safety issues.
- In April, 1,127 people died when the Rana Plaza complex collapsed near Dhaka.
- Engineers from one of the country’s top universities found only six factories passed all their tests, of more than 100 that were checked.
- Making clothes is a huge industry in Bangladesh which is the world’s second-biggest clothes producer.