Happy Bhag Jayegi Movie Review.
CRITIC’S RATING: AVG READERS’ RATING:
CAST: Diana Penty, Abhay Deol, Jimmy Sheirgill, Ali Fazal, Momal Sheikh, Piyush Mishra
DIRECTION: Mudassar Aziz
DURATION: 2 hours 6 minutes
- Happy Bhag Jayegi is a fresh, light-hearted take on cross-border camaraderie.
- Itthat revolves around a runaway bride.
- It lures you into throwing logic out of the window (‘baher’) for a while as it offers clean entertainment with ample gags.
- The cat and mouse game between the characters, with a dash of romance, forms the story.
- “Feisty and foolhardy, Amritsari kudi Happy (Diana Penty) escapes from her own wedding to be with her beau Guddu (Ali Fazal). This infuriates her would be groom – wannabe politician Bagga (Jimmy Sheirgill). Confusion ensues when Happy doesn’t end up with either and accidentally lands up in Pakistan. She bumps into Bilal (Abhay Deol), a budding politician and sparks fly. But he is engaged to Zoya (Momal Shiekh). Who gets the girl?”
- The comic caper clicks for its situational humour, smart writing and perfect casting.
- The first half has tons of laugh out loud moments, predominantly stemming from Piyush Mishra speaking chaste Urdu.
- Jimmy Sheirgill may not get the girl but he gets memorable roles and his portrayal of Bagga is the highlight here.
- Both Abhay and Ali are equally competent and the men dominate the film.
- Even more than the film’s central character (Diana), whose looks overshadow her acting. Momal is sincere.
- Overall, the family comedy manages to pull the right strings and change the present of Indo-Pak relations for the two hours that it lasts.
- Buckle up and enjoy the ride, Janaab!