India to Boycott SAARC Summit Islamabad : Uri Attack Reaction
Due to Uri Attack :India to Boycot SAARC Summit in Islamabad
- India said that it would not take part in South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) summit in Islamabad in November.
- The 19th SAARC summit is scheduled to be held in Pakistan’s capital Islamabad from November 9 to 10, 2016.
- “In the prevailing circumstances, the government of India is unable to participate in the proposed SAARC summit in Islamabad,” ministry of external affairs(MEA) said
- Pakistan has termed India’s decision to not attend the SAARC summit as “unfortunate”.
- Although Pakistan said that it has not received any official confirmation from India
Regional cooperation and terror don't go together. India pulls out of SAARC Summit in Islamabad pic.twitter.com/jabKoaBegJ
— Vikas Swarup (@MEAIndia) September 27, 2016
- India said that it is committed to regional cooperation, connectivity and contacts but these can only go forward in an atmosphere free of terror.
- As India to Boycott SAARC Summit Islamabad also Afghanistan also wants to boycott SAARC Summit
- Afghan envoy to India Shaida Mohammad Abdali told NDTV last week that his country was willing to consider a joint boycott of the SAARC summit along with India and other members.
- Apart from Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Bhutan will also boycott SAARC summit.
- India is also planning to revoke the Most Favoured Nation status to Pakistan in trade, in another punishing measure.
- The attack on the army base and triggered a war of words between the neighbours.