Jerusalem Shooting : Jerusalem Attack : Jerusalem Shooting Attack
Shooting near police HQ in Jerusalem Shooting Attack
- A Palestinian motorist opened fire on passers-by in Jerusalem Sunday, wounding up to 8 people before being shot dead, police and medics said.
- Since the attacker’s victims included a police officer, said Israeli police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld.
- While “He continued driving and shooting people on his way,” he said in an update on social media.
- Eight people had been wounded, one in a critical condition, one in a serious condition and six others with moderate or minor wounds.
- They were all taken to hospitals in Jerusalem.
- Police spokeswoman Luba Samri said the attacker sped toward a busy stop of the city’s light rail and opened fire, seriously wounding a woman waiting there
- Police officers on motorcycles chased the assailant, who eventually stepped out of his vehicle and opened fire at them.
- While A police officer was critically wounded in the shootout.
- Police said they have closed down the area of the shooting. Part of the light rail service was also halted.
Police units heard shots by terrorist. Police special patrol units responded and shot terrorist. Area closed off pic.twitter.com/nCvWXRogz0
— Micky Rosenfeld (@MickyRosenfeld) October 9, 2016
It comes amid a spate of Palestinian assaults, mainly stabbings, which has killed 34 Israelis and two visiting Americans since it began just over a year ago.
About 218 Palestinians have been killed during that period. Israel says the vast majority of them were attackers.
Israel blames the violence on a Palestinian campaign of lies and incitement. The Palestinians say it derives from frustration over nearly 50 years of occupation.