Karun Nair becomes second Indian to score 300
- Karnataka batsman Karun Nair on Monday entered an exclusive club, joining Virender Sehwag as the second Indian to score a triple-century in Tests.
- Nair, in his third Test, finished not out on 303 as India declared with their highest score in Tests, a massive 759/7, at the iconic MA Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai.
- At 25 years and 13 days, Nair also overtook Sehwag’s Indian record of youngest Test triple-centurion.
- Sehwag – who tweeted his congratulations to Nair – had been 25 years and 160 days in 2004 when he hit that epic 309 against Pakistan in Sultan.
Yay ! Welcome to the 300 club @karun126 .
It was very lonely here for the last 12 years 8 months.
Wish you the very best Karun.Maza aa gaya!
— Virender Sehwag (@virendersehwag) December 19, 2016
- The other milestones for Nair include becoming the first Indian batsman to convert a maiden Test hundred into a triple-hundred, the first Indian batting at No 5 or lower to reach 300, and the highest score by an Asian batsman as a maiden Test century.
- Nair, who played two ODIs for India, got his chance to be a part of the Test squad after Shikhar Dhawan was ruled out of the third Test versus England following a minor fracture on his left thumb.
- His scores before this match were 4 and 17. During his landmark effort, Nair added 161 for the fourth wicket with KL Rahul and 181 for the sixth with R Ashwin, ultimately helping India gain a lead of 282 in reply to England’s 477.
- It wasn’t a chance-less innings, for Nair was dropped on 34 and 217 and should have been stumped on 246 – there were several edges that fell short, too – but full credit to the rookie for shoring up the situation and pressing on from where his Karnataka stalemate Rahul left off.
- Virat Kohli declared India’s innings as soon as Nair soaked up the applause for his outstanding 303.
- India’s 759/7 is also the highest total ever scored against England in Tests.
About Karun Nair :
- Karun Kaladharan Nair (born 6 December 1991) is an Indian cricketer who plays for Karnataka and India.
- He is a right-handed batsman and off break bowler.
- He was a member of Royal Challengers Bangalore squad in the 2013 Indian Premier League.
- In the 2014 IPL auction, he was signed by the Rajasthan Royals.
- In the 2016 IPL Auction, he was signed by the Delhi Daredevils.
- He made his Test cricket debut in 2016 against England.
- He became the third player in international cricket history to convert his maiden century into a triple century, by scoring an unbeaten 303 against England in his second Test.
THANKS FOR READING !!
Tags : Triple century in test,Indian batsman,Indian batsman triple century,300 runs in cricket,second indian triple century,Karun Nair record,Karun Nair life,all about Karun Nair,300 in first test match