MS Dhoni quits Captaincy of ODI and T20
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni , who on Wednesday again surprised one and all by stepping down from limited overs captain’s post, was forced to take the decision due to his prolonged absence from competitive cricket.
- He resigned as India’s cricket captain on Wednesday.
- He was currently leading the Indian team in ODIs and T20 internationals.
- He retired from Tests on December 30, 2016 in Australia.
— BCCI (@BCCI) January 4, 2017
- While he continues to be available as a player, the Champions Trophy in England could be an indicator whether he would continue as a player till 2019 World Cup.
- India’s double World Cup winning skipper will be playing a competitive match after 77 days against England which could be an indicator as to how long he will continue with his illustrious career.
- In fact, chairman of selectors MSK Prasad had a long chat with Dhoni recently in Nagpur during Jharkhand’s Ranji Trophy semi-final, where there certainly were some discussions about his future plans.
- While no one can question his fitness and glovework, but not getting enough matches with India playing lot of Tests and Virat Kohli’s sublime form with the willow also made it a difficult decision for Dhoni.
- The decision also means that Kohli will get exactly two-and-half-years to prepare his team for the Champions Trophy.
MS Dhoni as Indian captain…..🙏 pic.twitter.com/BY7UVbPyh3
— Mohandas Menon (@mohanstatsman) January 4, 2017
- Dhoni played 73 T20 internationals and in the shorter formats of the game was considered as one of the best finishers of the game. Of the 73 T20s, Dhoni led India in 72 of them, a world record.
- Rahul Johri, Chief Executive Officer of the BCCI said, “On the behalf of every Indian cricket fan and the BCCI, I would like to thank Maherdra Singh Dhoni for his outstanding contribution as the captain of the Indian team across all formats.
- “Under his leadership, Indian team has touched new heights and his achievements will remain etched forever in the annals of Indian cricket.”
THANKS FOR READING !!
Tags : ms dhoni quits,ms dhoni retires,MS Dhoni quits odi,MS Dhoni quits t20,MS Dhoni news,